Spring

We are all itching for spring around here.  It has been a late winter but now its March and still cold.  I was cleaning out a spaghetti squash the other week and thought hmm, I wonder if I could plant these things.  Not even sure how to go about it, a quick google search told me to wash the seeds and put them in a baggie to see if they would germinate (sprout).  Sure enough, almost all of my little seeds had a few sprouts in just a couple of days.

Last weekend I dragged DJ out front and told her we were going to dig in the dirt and plant seeds.  She wasn’t too sure what it was all about.  She tried to help dig a hole but got frustrated with the dirt on her hands.  But, once I had a good trench dug, she was more than happy to help drop the seeds in one by one.  She had even more fun with the next step which was watering the seeds.  Every day since, we come home and she shouts “Seeds Seeds” and wants to water them!

And look at what popped up this week, our little seeds!

20130319-125612.jpg

She loves to stand on the patio and pour the water onto the little sprouts.  At some point we will have to go through a biology lesson teaching her that now they are technically plants and no longer “Seeds Seeds”.

20130319-125623.jpg

We are finally enjoying some warmer weather and hope that we have had our last cold snap!  Bring on the Spring!

20130319-125631.jpg

Advertisements

Easy House Number Project

Currently the house number on our mailbox for our house is simply some of the white stickers with plain black numbers.  It doesn’t look bad, just basic, boring, etc.

Here is the before picture:

IMG00116-20101011-1843

So I have been wanting to spruce this up some but needed a cheap way to do it. From the store I got the following supplies:

PA100221

The board plaque I got from WalMart for $6. The numbers were purchased from Lowes for about $1 each, and the spray paint was left over from another project but its just the cheap $1 brand.

After I spray painted the board white (sorry no pictures, it was windy and I didn’t want to spray the camera!), I spaced out the numbers by eye and nailed them down with my basic small hammer.

PA100221

Here is how the board turned out with the numbers nailed on.

PA100235

And finally, here is how it turned out on the mailbox! I’m not sure why but the one number isn’t showing up great in photos.

IMG00115-20101011-1842

After taking this picture, I realized there is another ugly sign on the other side of the mailbox. Guess I have to make another one of these!